Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Motivation (It's not just for him)

Recent reactions to Mo'nique's latest weight loss have been interesting to me. Being a plus-size woman, I can definitely understand how many plus-size women feel betrayed in this weight loss. For some, it may be a subconscious feeling of betrayal that is making us uncomfortable. She was able to do what many of us long to do--she buckled up and made the weight-release happen.

It is also very interesting to me that people are "hearing" her say that she's losing it because of her husband. This is something that I've been asked about as well. Because a SO may encourage our weight loss does not really mean that we are losing it for them. In my own experience having someone that I love hold me accountable for my choices definitely makes it easier. I have someone to serve as my checks and balances. Is this is a bad thing? I definitely think not. On the contrary, I think it is a healthy relationship when both parties take interest in the health of the other person.

Is my SO my sole motivation in losing weight? Heck no!!! Is he why I want to feel sexier? Perhaps in part. After all, who among us doesn't want our partner to find us attractive? As for me, its critical that I am the one who sees my sexiness first. I want to look in the mirror and envy my own curves, relish in my own strength, and revel in my own beauty. If he sees the same thing, that's just an added plus.

Peace Love & Light.

No comments: